Established in Grenada County, Mississippi to provide an 42,243 acre Army infantry training post. The 87th and 94th Infantry Divisions trained at Camp McCain for combat in Europe during World War II. It was named for Major General Henry Pinckney McCain (January 23, 1861 – July 25, 1941) who served as Adjutant General of the U.S. Army from 1914 to 1918. The following photographs were taken in the Spring of 1943 by Lt. Omer Austin Heacox who was with the Military Police. They are the property of the McCain Library and Archives at the University of Southern Mississippi. Many more photos from the archive are here .